Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I've never blogged before. I like to write, primarily for myself; I am not a good speller. Perhaps I will be some day. I have always intened to read the entire bible from cover to cover. My dad and I discussed the possiblity quite often. I am not sure that he ever did. In recent years the Bible became an important therapist and guide for my dad. He often encouraged me to read specific passages to see if I found the same spiritual fulfillment. I guess I will soon discover what this text has to offer me. I would love to be able to tell my dad that I will be attempting to read it. Perhaps this class will help me along as I try to pick up the pieces and move forward in life without my father, the most important person in my life. Perhaps I will become closer to him. It is strange, the gifts that death brings.
I did not plan to begin talking about my father, but he is the first and last thing on my mind these days. So now I feel I must explain, as I am sure my experience will come up again and again in my blog and perhaps in class. On July 20, my dad and I set out to climb Long's Peak (elevation 14,259ft) in Estes Park Colorado. It was a normal day. Hiking, backpacking, climbing peaks--I grew up with these activities filling much of my time. Before I could walk I was summiting peaks on my dad's back, in a backpack. We had climbed many, many times together. And I have spent the vast majority of my time in the mountains with my dad. The picture I used from my blog is one my dad took that day on Long's.
We were about 200 feet below the summit of Long's, and my dad had a massive heart attack and died. I had to descend the peak alone. And my life is forever changed.

I am an only child and my father was the one person in the world I was closest to. We found this quote on my dad's bathroom mirror:
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return."
-Mary Jean Iron

Sorry for the heavy stuff. It helps to share my story; perhaps someday if I tell it enough times it will feel real. And I feel it is important for people to know how drastically different my perspective on life is right now, as my perspective on all things literature is affected also. I promise my future blogs will be a bit more on the topic of the Bible, the other readings, and the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment