Sunday, November 1, 2009

Job pt. 1.1

I did not mean to publish the last Job post yet. oops. I think the whole book of Job is a metaphor for this little nugget at the center of the human condition and experience. As my dad would have said: "sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some." Meaning that we all have good days and bad days. We will all know happiness and joy, and we will all suffer. We will all know sickness and we will all know health. Life is a binary. You cannot have joy without suffering; it matters not whether you are a sinner or the utmost pious person. You will suffer. When you are suffering though, you search for justification or meaning. You think, why me? So I think it would be natural for a more primitive to question the motive of some sort of deity. As humans, we think too much, so we must question and agonize over our suffering. We run away from our negative emotions, we stuff them down, we try anything to avoid acceptance. Yet acceptance is what we ultimately move to, and only by moving straight through the heart of the grief we try so hard to avoid can we move beyond it. I think about animals and sometimes I think they are lucky. They grieve for one another. But they don't have the ability to think about avoiding their grief; so they simply grief and move through it and accept it.

Back to Job:I think Job is a metaphor for the person we all want to be when we are suffering. I don't want to be polite or cheerful or patient. I want to know what is happening to me, why is this happening? Anger arises and you want someone or something to blame (like a little kid, I want to throw a temper tantrum and somehow think this fit will make things go back to normal). I do not want to be resilient or pleasant. I think Job is very realistic because he is true to his actual feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment